Pages

11.10.2015

Pimp My Bride

The morning of the wedding I was a mess. I jerked awake much too early and couldn't go back to sleep, my heart jangling inside my rib cage as I thought about the Big Things happening that day and all that was still left to be done.

If I have a heart attack on the day I get married I'm gonna be real mad, I thought. Although the hospital is only like a block away, so if it's gonna happen, this is the place for it.

So instead of yawning serenely and letting the little blue birds in to help me dress, I slipped past sleeping bridesladies out to the balcony to finish writing my vows. Of course, like any self-respecting, independent woman, I immediately began blubbering.

"I just like, love him so much, you know?" began the first draft of my most timeless vows.

Danielle, whose room looked out on the balcony, came out and calmed me down enough to get a real draft done. We talked about the day to come and then she steered me inside for a wedding-day breakfast of Dr. Pepper and mac 'n' cheese. Because I had the best bridesladies of all tiiiime! 


Also, that whole heart attack worry doesn't seem so irrational now, does it?

But not even the combined powers of cheese powder and margarine could soothe my nerves. They ended up spoon-feeding me bites of  cold macaroni in between running around finishing last projects and coordinating errands. By the time our photographer arrived, nearly everything was ready and at the venue except for us. I was made up and in my wedding onesie, and with everyone there, the little two-bedroom apartment was suddenly up to a cozy capacity of fourteen. It was hectic and fun and I didn't cry once after my mascara was on. NOT ONCE. 

And now I'll stop talking and just let you see it all through Grace Dickinson's lovely photos:



My youngest sister, Elizabeth, having her makeup done
by Bill's sister Jenny.

I had to send the final seating chart off to the venue.
And download some songs.
And send some emails.
Normal bride stuff.


My sister Laura saved my hair after my failed attempts.
She swooped in, took out all my wonky bobby pins,
and added cream-colored spray roses. By the time she was done
I looked like a FREAKIN' WOODLAND FAIRY.

Vy-Vy, my makeup guru.


Another set of hands was needed to tame the hair.



Christie


Tiny niece Ava, the flower girl!


Jennifer and Ava
My sister Janet, who is an artist, made that sign.
MADE IT. WITH HER HANDS.



Vy-Vy and Rebecca












Jamie and Jenny





Janet and Jennifer,
who's real pumped about that teddy bear backpack.

























Bill had an Irish sixpence just laying around the house.
Because of course he did.


My mom peekin'








And here is the awkward part when we were almost late but I made everyone wait so I could hand out presents. But also I'm not going to tell you what I gave them so it might be a little awkward for you, too. I just want to make it feel like you were there.
















I apologize for those dumb captions. But get ready for more, because next up the men get fancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment